Wednesday, August 11, 2010

My first entry!

I was talking to a friend today who said she was so excited to have started a blog. I never got the point of a blog, but she said it's wonderful and therapeutic. So, I thought, "Why not give it a try?" Then, I have to think of what to write. What do I know that nobody else does? I know me. I can tell my funny stories, get out my daily rantings, and talk about me...which as everyone knows I kind of love.

So, here I am and here you are...and I'm glad we're here together.

So, for my first entry I though I would recap my weekend adventure. After four-plus years of being a stay at home mom, I finally got a few days off. By that I mean no children at all. No responsibility. Just me. So, I drove to LA for my friend Melodee's wedding. The trip was great. 8 hours of listening to whatever I wanted in the car, singing as loud as I wanted, eating egg salad sandwiches and drinking diet pepsi, and just having time without diapers and barbie dolls. I was a little lonely once I got there, but I definitely got to relax a bit. I needed that. Thank you, honey.

So, getting to the wedding...Melodee was completely gorgeous. The wedding was in Hollywood and the reception in Malibu. Let me break it down for you. I stayed in Calabasas, 20 minutes from the wedding and 20 minutes from the reception. But the reception and wedding were in opposite directions. Oh dear...get out the GPS. So, the wedding was over and we had two hours to waste in between, so Hoost (aka Justin Kopplin) says, "Let's go to my house and freshen up." Okay, no biggie he probably only lives 10 minutes away, I can see his place, freshen up, maybe have a glasss of water, and we'll head out.  Nope. Why would I think that someone who is known for being late would just want to freshen up and get back on the road? It was a 30 minute drive to his house...followed by a picnic lunch. It was delicious...but we also had food waiting for us at the reception. However, this time spent with Hoost was fantastic. I got to see his place, eat mint ice cream, and catch up.

We got on the road later than we had hoped and I told him, "It's an hour away."
He replied, "We'lll get there in a half hour...we're fine. We'll be right on time." Nope, I'm looking at the GPS...it says 59 minutes...I then proceeded to go about 85 on a 55 mph highway. I got lucky with no cops around...It still took us an hour. While we were at the church we were told the reception was going to be valet parking at the inflated price of $20 a car. So, when we arrived at the reception site we thought we'd cheat the system and park on the road...there were a ton of cars parked on the road...so we followed suit. This next part is verbatim:

"Where is the room for Mel's reception?"
"Oh it's around here. I mean how many weddings could there be?"
As I am clearly looking at a sign that does not say HOLSINGER/ BRIDGES, it said something like SHAO/SEOUL, "It is LA. and they did just legalize gay marriage. There could be about 75 here."
"We're fine."
Valet: 'Can I help you?'
"We're looking for the HOLSINGER/BRIDGES wedding"
'You're going to go to the end of this road, turn left at the T, go down the hill...you'll see the sign.'
"See. We're fine."

We proceeded to walk for maybe 7-10 minutes after already arriving 30 minutes late. It was UP a huge hill, around the corner, and down another HUGE hill! In HEELS!!! And as for the parking...not $20. Valet only if you wanted...and, again, not $20. Well, needless to say, it was an experience...and we cracked up the whole way. Life gave us lemons and we made lemon drop shots.

No comments:

Post a Comment