Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Not meant to be thin!?!??!

The other day I was talking to my grandmother, I don't exactly remember what we were talking about, but I do remember her saying to me, "I guess we just weren't meant to be thin in this family."

It made me angry and sad. It made me upset that she thinks we're all so overweight and that there is nothing we can do about it. Also, my grandmother used to be a hotty. No joke. I've seen pictures. She was thin...she was thin at 30. She was thin at 40. She's sort of heavy now...but she's also...70. Don't you dare tell her I told you that!!! In any case, perhaps she was in the same boat as me all her life...self conscious about her looks even though she was maybe only 10-20 pounds overweight at any given time. Or maybe she really thinks I'm fat.

I'm positive she's not the only person who thinks this way...that they are doomed to never be thin. I'm sure I have plenty of friends and acquaintances that think they were fated to a life of being "fat". Hey, not everyone is going to be a size 4, sure, but everyone can be healthy.

What really gets me about her comment is that I'm not even fat. Overweight, sure. I've got some junk in my trunk and bounce to my ounce and I'm working on it...but, it got me thinking..is this how people see me? Do people look at me and say, "Wow, lay off the cheeseburgers lady?"

Well, I'm not going to stand for it. I'm getting thinner everyday. On top of that, I'm getting smarter everyday. I'm learning to read labels and find things that taste good and aren't going to send me to an early grave or a scale that won't even read my weight.I'm learning that a little bit of exercise goes a long way to make my heart healthy and not just make my jeans fit better.

I'm not fated to be fat or unhealthy and I pray I never see the day where my daughter looks in the mirror and feels bad about what she sees. I'm giving her smart life choices. I'm giving my children the option of vegetables at every meal...vegetables that aren't covered in cheese whiz and butter. I'm offering fruit. My kids are allowed to have junk food...chocolate, fruit snacks, and ice cream...but, in moderation. And, yes, we do eat the occasional cheeseburger. But, I'm hoping that my children grow up with the knowledge to make the right choices and never hear the words, "I guess we just weren't meant to be thin in this family." They can be fat, thin, tall, or short...I don't really care...as long as they are healthy.

2 comments:

  1. I hear ya! One day about a year ago, I was at work in our lunch room with a bunch of co-workers and we were watching Food Network, 30 minute meals with Rachel Ray. One of the guys in the room said, "man, she's gotten fat!" I was like, ARE YOU FRIGGIN SERIOUS??!! Yes, I know at one point she had maybe gained 10-15ish lbs, but FAT? At that moment, I was like, if he thinks she is fat what does that make me?! It's insane the amount of pressure society puts on people to look a certain way. It's ridiculous! PS. I do not look at you and say "lay off the cheeseburgers lady!" LOL! Like you said you (well, we) both have some junk in the trunk and bounce to the ounce, but we're working on it...the right way, slow and steady!

    ReplyDelete